Friday, January 29, 2010

Yesterday's post

Yes, I've fallen behind again. I'm catching up now though.

Yesterday was all about resurrection. Resurrecting chapters I've written I didn't think I was going to use, resurrecting old ideas and implementing them in new ways, and resurrecting hope of finishing my skeleton.

I have been writing this novel, really, since May of last year. There have been a few chapters along the way that haven't made the cut for one reason or another. So, they sit in whatever round of editing folder they were in when I last looked at them. As I work through my story and work my way toward the end, though, I found a way for one particular chapter to come back and plan an extremely useful role, actually. It was originally meant to be earlier on in the novel, I think, but now, it's one of the later chapters and has added more depth to the police investigation, which was a pleasant surprise. As much as I want to plan and make decisions ahead of time, sometimes the ideas only illuminate themselves when I'm reading and writing the chapter itself. And that's exactly what happened yesterday. I had a vague idea of what I wanted to do with this chapter when I resurrected it, but other, more concrete ideas put themselves into place as I was reading, trying to determine if this chapter really is worth resurrecting.

At the end of the day, I'm thankful for inspiration no matter how or why or when it comes. I'll take inspiration and ideas in any shape or form, especially if they pan out to be really useful like yesterday's did.

I'm beginning another round of editing today, and I think, fingers crossed, that we're ready to write the ending. Because I now have ideas for that. Finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment