Friday, January 22, 2010

Sometimes You Just Need a Little Encouragement

I got my encouragement today. And it was great!

I met with my adviser/editor today to get feedback on the ten new chapters I've written in the 2010. As well as all the scheming, planning, organizing, and reorganizing I've done. The meeting was really productive, and I'm not going to lie, it made me feel better about my novel and myself, and I'll take both of those any day.

I'm not saying I need my ego stroked, but to some degree, reader response is my compass as to which direction I need to head with a particular character. For instance, I need to know how creepy you think my serial killer is. That was I can tweak him if I need to. Also, as I've previously mentioned, I'm so intimately familiar with these characters, it can be difficult for me to see them any other way than I already see them.

Not to mention the fact that encouragement is just plain good! I want nothing more in the world than for everyone who reads my book to LOVE it! I want to be a successful writer, which means knowing my ideas are good and people will like my story.

Finally. We ended our meeting by discussing all of my new ideas that I haven't executed yet. We also discussed some of her concerns, as well as, some of her ideas for a couple of aspects of my story that still need work.

My adviser offered me one more piece of advice that I found extremely helpful. So, you know I've been talking about writing a time line of events... Well I still haven't written the damn time line!!! I've moved in that direction, but the time line is not close to completion by any stretch of the imagination. My adviser told me to move on and we'll deal with it later. She said that's little stuff, and it can be worked out in the end. Okay. Don't mind if I do!

So tomorrow I will work on turning these new ideas into novel chapters. My goal for tomorrow is four new chapters. Secretly I'm hoping for five. I can accomplish however many I want. And I know that.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. YOU GO GIRL!!! You are right ... you can do it. You can write however many chapters you want.

    I absolutely cannot wait to buy this book and you better write an inscription in the front about our good old days at JCI. I will keep it FOREVER and EVER. No selling it on eBay ... well, not unless it's sell the autographed copy – or lose my house. Hmmm Yes, you WILL be THAT BIG, but for now just keep on writing! =) Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete