Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Writing and Traveling

Most of today was spent on the road. However, this is not going to stop me, the determined writer, from scheming and planning and writing... Yes, at this point you should be scared.

However, when I'm in the car, I can talk my ideas out to myself or Mags or whoever's watching the crazy woman talk to herself in her car next to them.

So, today as I was driving down the road, reveling in my 143 pages of novel, I started working out my ending. Planning always starts with questions. Okay, so Leia did this, but what happens next? What happens after she gets to her destination? Where do I want the final showdown between Leia and the serial killer to be? Who do I want narrating this part of the story? And the questions go on and on and on.

As I'm asking myself these questions, driving down the road, some of the answers to this myriad of questions starts coming to the surface of my brain. Given that I'm traveling and always forget something...I forgot my notebook that I write all of my ideas in. So, I grabbed a red pen and ANYTHING I could get my hands on while driving down the road.

I apologize to all of you driving down I-75 watching the crazy writer swerve around as she writes her latest brilliant ideas on the back of her checkbook, and a receipt, and a masseuse's business card. Now all I have to do is hold onto these VITAL pieces of paper long enough (until tomorrow morning) to write out these ideas.

Good night and good writing until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should get one of those "personal recorders." Then you could whip that out while driving and just talk your ideas into it.

    ReplyDelete