Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Who knows?

Sometimes life as a writer is just crazy because I'm a writer and thus slightly crazy. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. But some days I feel like the more I try to understand myself, the less I do, and I should just stop trying to understand the mass of complexities involved in my writing process and just go with it. This is how the channels have skipped lately.

Weekend out of town. Lots of notes on random scraps of paper or in the notes folder on my blackberry. More time collecting all of these notes and putting them into play.

Tired. Time change sucks and is very confusing when you go from CST to EST and back again during the time change. Grumpy morning. Whatever writing. Emo writing because it has to get out of my brain in some sort of attempt for me to be able to move onto writing about something productive or actually on my To Do List. Only half productivity. And when I say half I really mean zero.

Warm bath. Good, new fiction novel. Motivational signs for myself. Meditation. Catch up on sleep! Deep breaths. Prayers. More prayers. And even more prayers to God to take the things I'm thinking about because they're not what I need to be thinking about: query letter, novel synopsis, novel... And these things I'm thinking about are OUT OF MY CONTROL! Who knew my crazy writer self was such a control freak? Yes, I can hear all of you who are laughing at me right now having known this to be true for years.

Rewording the phrase To Do List a million different ways to make it easier mentally. Writing motivational phrases at the top of every day's list of activities, suggestions, or ideas to start my days on a positive note.

Dave Matthews, more Dave Matthews, my Soulful playlist, classic rock, Modest Mouse, silence, and then country. Which I should have been writing to all along. It does wonders for me. I sing along loudly, looking like a fool to the neighbors who walk by my window, but writing up a beautiful storm.

Scheduling every minute of my day in half hour to hour long increments. Checking things off! Checking things off! Sticking to my damn OCD schedule and CHECKING THINGS OFF!!!

Yes, I am this much of a crazy writer! But it worked, yet again, for me today. So I check off one more thing: this blog. Then I go watch some Dexter for inspiration. Yes, Dexter is on the To Do List as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment