Monday, March 8, 2010

I scored a triple whammy!

So...last week I spent two full days agonizing over my Novel Synopsis (Okay probably longer than that agonizing but only two full days of physical writing.). So last week I spend two FULL days writing my first draft of my novel synopsis.

This morning I began rewriting my novel synopsis after having done just a little more research on novel synopses online. There are several factors for the rewrite here. First, I was reading the same information I'm sure about how to write a novel synopsis. I was just reading it from a different source thus different wording on how to achieve this seemingly impossible task. Sometimes wording it differently is all it takes for the light bulb to turn on in your brain.

The second reason for my morning rewrite is...the first version SUCKS! I mean. It sucks big time!!!

So not only did I waste two whole days writing this steaming piece of s*@t, but it is, in fact, garbage and thus, will not be used. One, two, three...I'm hittin' em outta the ball park here guys!

The silver lining to the writer's Triple Whammy. What I wrote this morning flowed really easily, kind of came naturally after I'd done a little more research, and is going to be very awesome when I'm finished with it.

In other oh-my-God-I'm-not-published-and-want-to-be-so-badly news... Querying a literary agent is freaking hard! Query letter writing is not fun writing! You don't kill anyone in a query letter. There's no romance in a query letter. No suspense. Just business! And what do I have to say about business writing like resumes and cover letters...Ewwww! Gross! I loathe them! I avoid writing them like the plague! Can I write these businessy things? Yes. Do I want to? NO!!! However, a friend of mine today equated these query letters to cover letters. You can use one for all of them because you say the same thing to everyone; you just change a few of the specifics. Maybe my friend's right. Maybe my friend's wrong. I think she's a little right. So, for real tomorrow, I write a query letter. I've already written and rewritten a really good elevator pitch, which is the first paragraph of the letter itself. Thus, I only have two or three more paragraphs to write. It has to all fit on one page after all.

More deep breaths. More sunshine. (Hopefully!) More Dave Matthews. More telling myself, "I can do this! I can do this. I CAN DO THIS DAMNIT! And I'm going to!"

Also having fun writing a new character named Stephanie. She's young and violent and hopefully Faulkner-esque!

No comments:

Post a Comment